Council Tax

Council tax is a system of local taxation collected by local authorities. It is a tax on domestic property. Some property is exempt from council tax. Some people do not have to pay council tax and some people get a discount. As a student you may not have to pay council tax if the property you live in is exempt.

A property that is occupied only by full time students is exempt from council tax altogether. If only some people in the house are full time students, the property is not exempt, but any students in the house are disregarded.

You will only count as a full time student in HE if you are on a course for at least 21 hours a week or a course that the university defines as full-time.  Part time HE students are not exempt from paying council tax.

If you have to pay council tax, you might be able to get a reduction under your local authority’s council tax reduction scheme. These vary from place to place but are usually means tested ( based on your household income and capital).

For more information click on the link below

Council tax