Whether you are working part time while studying, or thinking about future employment, it is never too late to become familiar with your rights and responsibilities regarding employment contracts, rest periods, notice and lots more. Please click the following links below to read more information from the Specialist Advice Team regarding employment:  
  • Employment Contracts
A contract of employment is an agreement between you and your employer. There is always a  contract between you and your employer, even if you do not have anything in writing, because you have agreed to work for your employer in return for pay. Your contract of employment will include a number of other details that have been agreed between you and your employer. These are called terms and conditions and may either be verbal arrangements, or be in writing. Click on the link below then scroll down and click on the heading; Changes to employment contracts
  • The National Minimum Wage
In the UK, most workers aged 16 or over are entitled to a National Minimum Wage (NMW). The minimum wage applies to you, whether you are in a permanent job, working for an agency or on a short-term contract. Click on the link below then scroll down and click on the heading; The National Minimum wage.
  • National Insurance
National Insurance can be viewed as a government insurance system which helps to pay for benefits which you get when, for example, you’re sick. It also helps to pay for your state retirement pension. Click on the link below then scroll down and click on the heading ; National Insurance.
  • Tax
For more information please visit our Tax page.
  • Pensions
A workplace pension is a way of saving for your retirement that’s arranged by your employer. Some workplace pensions are called ‘occupational’ , ‘works’, ‘company’ or ‘work-based’ pensions. Click on the link to find out more about Workplace Pensions  State Pensions The basic state pension is a regular payment from the government that you can get when you reach state pensions age. click on the link below to find out more about State Pension 
  • Holidays and Holiday Pay
Most workers have the right to take a minimum amount of paid holiday. This is called statutory holiday. You have the right to take statutory paid holiday from work if you are a worker. This includes people who work full-time, part-time, agency workers and casual workers. Click on the links below: What you are entitled to;  When can you take a holiday from work.
  • Parental Rights at Work
Click on the link and scroll down to the section “Rights at work if you’re a parent” for more information.
  • Rest Breaks and Sickness at Work
Most workers are entitled to daily and weekly rest breaks, and rest breaks during the course of the working day. Whether you are paid or not for these breaks will depend on what your employment contract says. There are some workers who have no automatic legal entitlement to a rest break, and there are special rules about rest breaks for young people and lorry or coach drivers. Click on the link below then scroll down and click on the heading: Rest Breaks at Work If you are off for at least four days in a row or more and you earn more than £113 a week, you will be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). SSP is money paid by employers to employees who are away from work because they are sick. It is the minimum amount you can be paid when you are off work because you are sick. Your contract of employment may give you extra rights to more sick pay than this (contractual sick pay). You should check your contract to see what you are entitled to. Click on the link below then scroll down and click on the heading: Sickness at Work.
  • Leaving a Job
Your rights when you leave a job These will depend on a number of things such as how long you worked for the employer and the reason you are leaving. For example, if you are dismissed from your job you should check how much notice you should get. When you leave a job you should make sure you have been paid everything you’re entitled to. If you have left the job you may want a reference from your employer.  For more information about leaving a job please see https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/leaving-a-job/ Find a Job: To get help in finding a job during your studies go to: To get help and information about careers after your studies go to: Further Resources and Information: Please click the following links below to read some more information regarding employment.