UK/Home students – Hardship Funds are available in the form of:

2019/20 University of Lincoln Financial Assistance Fund – Term Time

These funds have been provided by the University of Lincoln as part of the Access Agreement approved by the Office of Fair Access (OFFA). The funds are applied for via an application process and an assessment is carried out using the evidence supplied.

Applications for 2019/20 may be submitted from 14th October 2019 until the official end of your course or 31st July 2020 (whichever is earlier).

It you believe you are eligible, you can apply online by clicking HERE.

Paper application forms are available from the Student Support Centre or may be downloaded from the link below once the fund opens. SINGLE UNDERGRADUATE students should complete the LIGHT GREEN form. UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS LIVING WITH A PARTNER OR WITH DEPENDANTS should complete the DARK GREEN form and POSTGRADUATE students should complete the PURPLE form:

Single Undergraduate Living with Partner or with Dependants

Postgraduate Additional Assessing Notes

For information regarding the assessment process please read the Additional Assessing Notes in conjunction with the information contained in the application form.


The 2019/20 Course-related Travelling Grant is to help with travel, within the UK or abroad, for course-related activities. The travel could be for a work placement, to attend a conference or to study abroad.

Students must have UK or EU status, be enrolled on an undergraduate or postgraduate course and have the support of their academic tutor to be considered.

2019/20 Course-related Travelling Grant application.

2019/20 Financial Assistance Fund Commuting Travel Grant – The University of Lincoln Financial Assistance Fund Travel Grant has been created in recognition of the rural nature of Lincolnshire and North Lincolnshire. It’s intended as a contribution to the travel costs incurred by eligible undergraduate students who attend University from their permanent home address.

Only complete this form if you are:

  • an enrolled University of Lincoln Undergraduate student
  • eligible for the maintenance element of Student Finance*
  • have to pay to travel to attend the University from your permanent home address and live in Lincolnshire or North Lincolnshire (outside the area covered by the standard Megarider bus ticket – see Stagecoach ticket area map below)

*According to your 2019/20 Student Finance application assessment.

The Fund will be open from 14th October 2019 until 31st July 2020* (*the fund may close earlier if funds become exhausted). Where applications remain incomplete at the closing date, they will not be considered.

The application form including full guidance and Stagecoach ticket area map can be accessed below:

Stagecoast Megarider area map

Advice Blog Break-Up-Sections-Lines 2

Additional information for students in financial hardship.

Short Term Loans

Enrolled full-time UK home students who are eligible for a Maintenance Loan but whose funding is delayed at the start of the academic year and who have no other means of support, may apply for a Short-term Loan from the University of Lincoln Financial Assistance Fund (ULFAF). It is a loan and therefore repayable.

The University of Lincoln has authorisation from the Financial Conduct Authority to give debt advice and issue short term loans.

Our Firm Reference Number (FRN) is 673570

Financial Help for International Students

International students are expected to have made full provision for their tuition fees and living costs before embarking on their programme of study as a condition of their Tier 4 visa. Where the student experiences an unexpected event that causes financial difficulty or loss they may be able to receive support from one of these emergency funds:

Emergency Repatriation Fund

This fund is to offer exceptional emergency support to an international student who experiences an unanticipated event which requires them to have to go home urgently. The student would be expected to be able to demonstrate that they cannot afford to pay for their own ticket as well as supply evidence of the situation. If approved, this fund may be used to purchase a travel ticket on the student’s behalf. These funds are not repayable by the students and this fund will be withdrawn once funds are exhausted.

Emergency Cash Loan

To be used if a student can demonstrate that they are funded by their Government (or exceptionally, by an employer) but have experienced a short delay in the receipt of a payment. The small amount of cash which can be loaned is to assist with immediate food costs. The student is expected to provide evidence of the delay in the receipt of their maintenance funds as well as evidence of their hardship. This is a loan and is therefore repayable – the student is expected to provide debit card details in order to enable an automated repayment facility to be set-up.

Short-term Loan (for Students who are in financial crisis due to Civil Uprising)

This loan may be made where students are funded by their country’s Government but payments are delayed due to civil uprising. The student is required to evidence the delay to their maintenance payments as well as provide evidence of their immediate hardship. These loans are repayable and the student is expected to provide debit card details in order to enable an automated repayment facility to be set-up.

How to make an application:

Application forms and further information are available from the Student Funding Team, Student Support Centre.

Leeke Educational Foundation

The Leeke Educational Foundation was established under the terms of the will of the Reverend Canon Edward Leeke (1841-1925), a Sub-Dean of Lincoln Cathedral. He helped pioneer education in Lincoln, notably the school in Christ’s Hospital Terrace, now a part of Lincoln University. It has a policy on safeguarding vulnerable beneficiaries which can be viewed on request.

Applications are invited for grants from young people who fulfil all three criteria given below:

  1. Are aged from 16 to 24 when funds will be needed.
  2. Reside, or whose parents/carers reside, within the boundaries of the City of Lincoln.
  3. Are in need of financial assistance through low family income and/or difficult circumstances.

Grants may be awarded towards the following:

  1. Fees and other costs directly associated with courses of study at secondary school, teacher training colleges, universities and other educational establishments approved by the Trustees.
  2. Fees, equipment, tools, books, travel and other costs required in training for a profession, trade or calling.
  3. Costs incurred in using leisure time to develop spiritual, moral, physical and mental capacities.

All enquiries should be sent to

Completed application forms and references for the academic year 2019/20 must be submitted by Saturday 21st September at the latest, after which awards decisions will be made.

Scholarships & Bursaries – Most UK Universities offer bursaries and scholarships. Information regarding bursaries/scholarship offered at the University of Lincoln can be found via this link: scholarships & bursaries. Follow this link for the University of Lincoln Financial Assistance Fund. The Student Funding Team administers the payment of the following bursaries and grants:

Blackburn Bursary – this is for students who are care leavers (as defined by the Children (Leaving Care) Act 2000 and have been in care within 5 years of the start of their course. There is a short application form which students should complete (email: for a copy of the form). Students are also required to submit written evidence of their period in care from their care provider (Local Authority). The total award per year is £1,500. If eligible, £500 will be credited to the student’s nominated bank account once approved. The balance of £1,000 will paid upon successful completion of the academic year. Students should apply each year.

If you are not eligible for the Blackburn Bursary, you may be eligible for support from the Foyer/Supported Housing Bursary – see below for more details:

Foyer/Supported Housing Bursary – for students who enrol at University having come directly from living in a Foyer or other supported housing* (*where they lived between the ages of 16 to 18). Each year the Foyer Federation inform the University of students who intend to enrol directly from living in a Foyer. These Bursaries are funded through the University of Lincoln Hardship Fund. There is a short application form which students should complete ( for a copy of the form) and evidence should be supplied of evidence of period in supported housing and any benefits received. The total award per year is £1,000 which is paid in 3 termly instalments (subject to attendance checks). Students should apply each year.

You cannot get both the Foyer/Supported Housing Bursary and the Blackburn Bursary.

Other Funding Opportunities

In addition to University of Lincoln specific scholarships & bursaries there are more via external agencies.

The Student Health Association runs the Disability Assistance Fund. The fund helps students with disabilities to keep up with their studies. The maximum amount of each award is £500 and students must be involved in higher education on a full-time or nearly full-time basis. Student are expected to have applied for the Disabled Students Allowance before applying to the Disability Assistance Fund.

Leeke Church Schools and Educational Foundation offers grants to students aged 16-24 who live, or whose parents live, in the City of Lincoln. For more information follow this link.

Please find below a list of useful websites which may aid you in obtaining alternative funding:

Turn2US – a charity that helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help.

Prospects – jobs and funding to support postgraduate study.

Funds for Women Graduates – awards to women for Postgraduate Study and Research. – search for “small grants for postgraduate study”.

The Leverhulme Trust– said to “award funding across academic disciplines, supporting talented individuals in the arts, humanities, sciences and social sciences to realise their personal vision in research and professional training”.

The Sir Richard Stapley Educational Trust– said to “support the work of mature students of proven academic merit, and in financial need, who are pursuing further degree qualifications at an institution in the UK”.

Wellcome Trust– claim to “provide more than £700 million a year to support bright minds in science, the humanities and the social sciences, as well as education, public engagement and the application of research to medicine.”

Scholarship Search – a useful scholarship search engine.

FindAPhD– primarily a PhD search engine, however, can also be used to search for studentships and also contains a section on funding PhD’s.– can search for “all types of funding, all for postgraduates”.

Lincoln Library on Free School Lane currently hold The Grants Register 2015: The Complete Guide to Postgraduate Funding Worldwide. This is described as being ‘an authoritative and comprehensive guide to postgraduate grants worldwide. With details of over 4,500 awards, the register includes information on funding, careers advisors, universities, libraries, and students organisations.’

The Summer Financial Assistance Fund is currently closed

The Fund will open on the first Monday following the official last day of your course of 1st August 2020 (whichever is earlier)

University of Lincoln SUMMER Financial Assistance Fund

The University of Lincoln SUMMER Financial Assistance Fund is open from 27th May 2019 to 6th September 2019.

It is intended to offer financial support to continuing University of Lincoln undergraduate students who are unable to work over the summer vacation period and who are experiencing financial hardship.

If your course has finished, you are not eligible for these funds but may be able to apply for welfare benefits – if you want to speak to an Adviser, you can attend a drop-in (Monday to Friday 12 noon to 2 pm) or email

If you are not sure of your eligibility for these funds, please speak to an Adviser.

Single Undergraduate Living with Partner or with Dependants