All UK Higher Education Institutions are eligible to receive funds for research, postgraduate training and associated activities. The higher education funding councils for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland determine whether an organisation meets the criteria to be a Higher Education Institute.
Research Councils UK is made up of seven grant-awarding bodies which offer funding for pretty much every area of academic activity at postgraduate level. Each year, approximately 6,000 studentships are awarded to universities by the Councils, so competition for awards is fierce and many applicants will struggle to secure funding.
The seven grant-awarding Research Councils are:
- Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC)
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
- Science & Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
For further eligibility and information on Research Council Funding use the links below: