Undergraduate Funding

There are two elements of Student Finance available to all eligible students:

  1. Tuition Fee Loan – This is not means-tested therefore it doesn’t look at household income. It is paid directly by Student Finance England to your University and covers the entire cost of your tuition fees. As this is a loan you will have to pay this funding back.
  2. Maintenance Loan – This is to assist with living costs such as accommodation, bills, food and your social life. The loan is part non means-tested and part means-tested. Means testing is when your household income is taken into consideration. As this is a loan you will have to pay this funding back. Students with an underlying entitlement to benefits may be eligible to apply for a larger maintenance loan.
The amount of Student Finance available to students can depend on their age and if they have an underlying entitlement to welfare benefits.  Please click the relevant link below to view a table detailing the amount of funding that is available. The categories are as follows; the majority of full-time students, students with an underlying entitlement to welfare benefits and students aged 60 or over:
MajorityBenefit Entitilement60+

Follow the links below to view more specific information about Student Finance:

Part-timeDSADependants' GrantsInterest & RepaymentsEU

Estrangement – Estranged students can also apply for Independent Student Status.  For more information about this process please see the Stand Alone guide for estranged students below:

Stand Alone Student Guide

Standalone Guide for Estranged Students-1

Funding for Study Abroad – Eligible students studying on a course at a UK university or college, who study outside the UK as part of their course, can apply for full student finance.  There are also some special provisions for them if they’re studying for at least the majority of a term abroad.

In addition, students studying abroad may be eligible to apply for a Travel Grant.  This is available to full-time students attending a clinical placement in the UK or studying abroad as part of their course.

For further information regarding funding for study abroad and travel grants follow this link to the gov.uk website.

Funding Authorities – Once you have determined that you and your course are eligible for student finance you need to know which body you should apply to.  UK/Home students apply and are assessed by the funding authority for the area of the UK in which they usually live:

England – Student Finance England (SFE) – For more information with regards to how SFE use household income to perform assessments click here.

ScotlandStudents Award Agency for Scotland (SAAS)

Northern Ireland – Student Finance Northern Ireland (SFNI)

Wales – Student Finance Wales (SFW)

The following Cross Nation table prepared by NASMA (National Association of Student Money Advisers) demonstrates funding availability compared with country of residence.

Cross Nations Funding 2018/19

If you have any queries relating to your funding application, you should contact your funding authority in the first instance.  Their contact details will be available on their web-pages. Student Finance England has paper forms and guidance notes available for download on their website: www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms. The Student Room website (www.thestudentroom.co.uk) is particularly helpful and has a lot of information which may answer your student financial questions.

Additional Funding 

There are some courses at the University of Lincoln which may attract funding from the NHS. They are:

  • BSc (Hons) Nursing with Registered Nurse (Adult)
  • BSc (Hons) Nursing with Registered Nurse (Mental Health)
  • BSc (Hons) Nursing with Registered Nurse (Children’s Nursing)
  • BSc (Hons) Midwifery

Check the NHS Learning Support Fund Website for more information: https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/learning-support-fund

Remember it is really important to always keep all your contact details up to date with Student Finance England (or equivalent). If you do not do this it may lead to implications with your student funding.

If you have any further questions about student funding you can email our Student Funding Team at fundingadvice@lincoln.ac.uk. Alternatively if you are in Lincoln you are welcome to attend the Student Funding drop-in session which runs Monday-Friday between 12 noon-2pm in the Student Support Centre.