US & Canadian Loans

At the University of Lincoln, all loans are handled by the Student Funding Team.

Loans for Students from Canada – please contact for help with funding advice and form completion.
Loans for Students from USA – Direct, PLUS and Private

You can only receive US Federal Loans for full Undergraduate or Postgraduate courses.  If the course you wish to study does not fall into either of these categories you can only apply for a Private Loan.  Please contact for further information.

Please note the University of Lincoln will not start the origination of your loan until June before the start of the course (assuming the student is enrolling in September).  For students studying on a programme where enrolment may be at anytime during the academic year e.g. PhD courses, please contact for instructions on how to apply for your funding.

Please look at to see what your next steps are.  Please note, although you are informed that your School knows that you have applied through FAFSA, we would recommend that you contact us directly by email to We can then liaise with you through the process of originating your Federal Student Aid or Private Loan(s).  This process ensures that you experience no delays in the processing of your Student Aid.

You may borrow up to the Cost of Attendance and no more. The Cost of Attendance spreadsheet is set by the school each year but may be adjusted by the student to reflect their specific individual needs on the spreadsheet whilst keeping within reasonable parameters. The spreadsheet will give warnings if too much loan is requested. Two types of loans are available to you, Federal (Stafford) Direct Lending and private loans.

Students should only use the Cost of Attendance spreadsheet for the academic year in which they are registered.

Assuming you are eligible, once your loans are originated we can ask for your tuition fee deposit to be waived, which will enable your CAS to be issued.  Also, please let us know if you wish to reside in University managed accommodation as we can pay your rent direct from your loan disbursements.

Applications for each new academic cycle can be submitted from June 1st onwards.

University of Lincoln’s school code (OPE) is G36844.

Further information from the US Department of Education can be accessed via this link.

Follow the links below to view more specific information about US & Canadian Loans:


Federal Student Aid/Cost of AttendanceEnrolment StatusSAPPaoS



How to Apply


General Information

TimingHow much currencyDisbursmentsDefermentsRefund PolicyExit Counselling


Alternative Funding Options

Private LoansVA Benefits