What to bring to an appointment?

When you visit the Specialist Advice team, its important that the advisor you speak to has as much information about your case as possible. If you don’t bring the necessary paperwork with you, you may have to come back another time. This means it could take you longer to get the help you need.

This page gives you an idea of the kind of information it’s useful to bring with you. If you haven’t got everything that’s shown, don’t worry-bring as much as you can find.

Its sometimes important to get help as soon as possible because you may only have a short amount of time to take certain action.

Problems with benefits

  • All letters from government departments, such as the Department for Work and Pension (DWP) e.g. Jobcentre Plus, The Pensions Service, or the local authority
  • Decision letters that you are not happy about or wish to challenge- this is essential.
  • Your national insurance number
  • Proof of your income- wage slips, benefit letters, tax credits
  • Bank statements- latest copy
  • Details of any savings
  • Tenancy agreement or mortgage details.

Welfare benefit check
If you would like an advisor to check that you are receiving all the benefits and tax credits you’re entitled to, bring the following information for everyone who lives in your home:

  • dates of birth
  • if employed or self-employed – number of hours worked
  • gross income from employment for the last tax year – April 6 to April 5 – a P60 form will provide this, or if self employed, last year’s accounts
  • gross income for this year – payslips or estimate if self-employed
  • if you are currently receiving benefits, bring all the benefit award letters
  • child care costs – details of childcare provider and how much you pay
  • investment income – details of investments and latest interest payments. Bank statements may be the best way to show this
  • tenancy agreement or current mortgage repayment details
  • council tax bill.

Debt and Money Problems

  • details of your income – wage slips, benefit letters, tax credits
  • bank statement – latest copy
  • details of all those that you owe money to and how much – bring the latest statements and demands for payment
  • copy of original loan agreements
  • copy of any court papers
  • details of your household expenditure – how much you spend on food, transport, phone and energy bills etc
  • copy of the latest correspondence you have received – e.g. letters from bailiffs.

Housing Problems 

  • tenancy agreement, letters from your landlord – if you’re renting
  • mortgage details – if you have a mortgage
  • any court papers
  • title deeds – if you own your home
  • proof of your income – wage slips, benefit letters, tax credits

Employment Problems 

  • copy of your employment contract
  • details of any disciplinary, grievance or dismissal issues
  • any recent letters from your employer
  • staff handbook
  • copy of employment tribunal applications – if you have made any
  • proof of your income – wage slips, benefit letters, tax credits.

Family and personal Issues

  • any paperwork or letters relating to the issue
  • court documents or legal documents
  • proof of your income- wage slips, benefits letters, tax credits
  • copy of divorce papers.

Consumer Problems

  • full details of the goods or services causing the problem
  • copy of any contracts or credit agreements
  • any recent letters about the problem
  • proof of purchase – such as receipt or credit card slip
  • proof of your income – wage slips, benefit letters, tax credits.

Immigration or asylum problem

  • all letters from the Home Office
  • passport and details of any visas or permits
  • proof of your income or NASS support – wage slips, benefit letters, tax credits.

Other Problems
Any paperwork, letters or other correspondence relating to the issue.