The Advice Service is based in the Student Support Centre. We are an independent service, which means that we do not form any part of the administrative structure of the University. We have no decision making powers within the University and you will not find us on any panels or boards within the University. All the advice we give is confidential including the fact that an enquiry has been made, we will not breach this confidence except in exceptional circumstances which are governed by law and are the same for all advice workers regardless of where they work. All our advisers are members of professional bodies such as: NASMA, UKCISA and IMA, and must at all times adhere to their professional standards and codes of practice which outline that we must always act in the best interests of the students (clients) who approach us. We deliver specialist advice on key issues that affect all students at the University of Lincoln. As well as offering specialist support The Advice Service also runs workshops in relation to budgeting, housing rights and responsibilities, Tier 4 visa applications and understanding money. We provide a range of materials aimed at preventing future difficulties such as “Top Ten Tips for Renters”, “Borrowing Money “, “Protecting your Tier 4 visa status”, “Making a successful Tier 4 visa application” and many more.
The Specialist Advice Team advice students about their rights and responsibilities, helping our clients fully understand the whole situation and how it affects them individually, enabling them to consider all the options available and make informed decisions. Our advice covers a wide range of area including: Legal issues, Money, Debt, Housing, University Issues, Welfare Benefits, employment and much more. As well as providing specialist, professional one to one advice we also run preventative workshops in Housing, Debt, Money and Budgeting.
For information about housing, debt, employment, money, University issues, benefits and much more click the link above.
Specialist Advice drop-in – Monday-Friday – 12:00 noon – 2:00pm – Student Support Centre
While we try to ensure that all drop-in sessions run, occasionally, due to unforeseen circumstances we have to cancel. If you are travelling a long way and want to check the sessions are running we recommend you contact the Student Support Centre on 01522 886712 before starting your journey.
Contact the Specialist Advice Team:
- Email – Unfortunately the Specialist Advice Team cannot give advice via email
- Drop in (Assessment Sessions) – These sessions are aimed at students who have not accessed our service before. They run on a first come first served basis and are 10 min slots; an advisor will be available to talk to you, assess the situation and book further follow up appointments if needed. Monday – Friday 12.00 noon – 2pm in the Student Support Centre
- Face to face appointments – To book an appointment with the Specialist Advice Team: you can call 01522 887495 or email firstname.lastname@example.org , or you can call in the Student Support Centre and the front desk staff will help. The Student Support Centre is open Monday – Thursday 8.30am – 5pm and Friday 8.30am – 4.30pm.
- Telephone appointments – If you are unable to attend because you are not currently in Lincoln or you have other commitments that mean you are unable to attend an appointment during office hours, the Specialist Advice Team also offers telephone appointments both during the daytime in normal office hours or on a Thursday evening between 5.15pm and 6.30 pm. To make an appointment please email email@example.com or telephone 01522 887495.
- All contact with the Specialist Advice Team is confidential.